Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Child of Eden and the future of "eye candy" games

A friend showed me a trailer the other day of a new "rhythm action" type of game by Q Entertainment.  (You wouldn't believe it to be a "shooter" by the preview!)























Definitely mezmerizing!  I'm thinking that this type of experience may draw more sensitive, artistic types to video game consumership, perhaps even more females as well (I think I'll make a post about what the female market means for the games industry).

Will this type of thing become the next fad?  We've seen lackluster sales in niche music games like guitar hero.  Perhaps this type of music-interactive genre is temporary by default, just as your average pop star?  This is all I can say for the average consumer, though I don't think I'd be able to get tired of a game like Child of Eden, despite never playing it before.  It's just right up my alley!

 This type of game, in a way, strengthens the long standing analogy to addictive drugs (though that's not the reason it appeals to me).  From some of the Youtube comments I saw, I'm not the only one who sees this connection.  Will people in the future use video games to legally simulate a psychedelic trip, or as a companion to a chemical substance?  Whether either or both happens, I can only see it resulting in sales increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment